"Welcome To Chiari Lifeline."

Chiari Malformation is a serious neurological disorder where the cerebellum, the bottom part of the brain, descends out of the skull and crowds the spinal cord, putting pressure on both the brain and spine. There are over 100 reported symptoms that are caused from CM. Those most common include; severe headaches, fatigue, general imbalance, memory problems, visual disturbances, dizziness, just to name a few.

CM affects about 1 in 1,000 people and this number continues to grow. Still many are left suffering and go years without a proper diagnosis as many doctors are yet unfamiliar with this condition.

If you or a loved one is affected by Chiari please visit the links provided below. Together, we can make a difference!


September 23, 2008

The Chiari Institute (TCI) Experience...

Hey Everybody! I'm taking a break from "clinical posting" to answer some questions. I've been asked by several of you since my return from TCI, what it's like and what to expect. Many of you were so kind to fill "me" in before I went, so I'm passing on the favor!

From the get-go: If flying, book ahead as soon as possible (2 months if able)...saved me a bundle! I flew into LaGuardia Airport which was about a 30 min. drive to North Shore/TCI. I used the airport shuttle which was quite a bit cheaper than the regular taxis...about$40.00 compared to $50+.

As far as hotels, the ones offered on TCI's website are great and offer discounts, BUT the prices on the site have not been updated and are about $20 more now at some hotels.
Be sure to ask when you reserve your room. Ollie's taxi service was great and they were so nice. Ask for Bob,#51. Tell him the FL TCI couple sent you! LOL!!!

The day of testing is not bad at all. Plan on 3-4 hours that day depending on what tests have been ordered. Everyone was great!

The next day (at TCI) plan on being there all day (it's worth it...honest!). I arrived just at 9:00am and didn't leave until 7:00 pm that night. The time scheduled to see your doctors is not necessarily the time you'll actually see them. Tuesdays are big surgery days. They ask you to stay there throughout the day as the doctors are in and out. First they have you fill out more paperwork...and even take your picture, so SMILE! :) The Marketing Dir. then comes out to meet you and is great. You'll be given a nice canvas TCI bag with goodies like; Patient Education Binder...Nice Daily Planner...TCI Info...and a cute little squeezy stress ball made to look like a little brain! LOL!!!

Next the Nurse Practitioner calls you back and goes over your complete medical history. You'll also be asked about your family history (even cousins, aunts, uncles, etc). The more info you have the better! That's how they came to find that my TCS may be inherited from my Dad (I was the first case they have had like that they said...they were excited...not that "I" was! After that, you'll be waiting to see the docs. They have nice personal waiting spaces with flat screen TVs...a computer room with internet service as well as all their videos (even ones not on the website)...and they have a nice area for refreshments (bagels, pastries, cheeses, coffee, juice, etc.) They have a microwave as well to use. There are no restaurants near by to walk to, but they provide numbers of those who will deliver. The doctors were wonderful and thorough...they do a complete neuroexam and are a wealth of information. I took a small recording device so I could record all they said to me (I knew I'd forget stuff...thanks to Brain Fog! LOL!) They were perfectly fine with that. Dr. Chan even gave me his email address if I have questions later and said he'd call me back in return! I'm now waiting for the written report which takes some time I hear (2-6 wks at times). Well that's the highlights! Sorry so long, but I know a lot of you want to be as informed as you can be...just as I was!

No comments: