"Welcome To Chiari Lifeline."

Chiari Malformation is a serious neurological disorder where the cerebellum, the bottom part of the brain, descends out of the skull and crowds the spinal cord, putting pressure on both the brain and spine. There are over 100 reported symptoms that are caused from CM. Those most common include; severe headaches, fatigue, general imbalance, memory problems, visual disturbances, dizziness, just to name a few.

CM affects about 1 in 1,000 people and this number continues to grow. Still many are left suffering and go years without a proper diagnosis as many doctors are yet unfamiliar with this condition.

If you or a loved one is affected by Chiari please visit the links provided below. Together, we can make a difference!


September 20, 2008

Testing For Chiari: (by TCI)

(Testing that may be expected while at TCI)

"D
iagnostic Tests:

3D CT Scan: A 3D CT scan is a scan that produces three-dimensional images of the patient's
vessels.

Cine MRI: A Cine MRI is taken the same way a traditional MRI is, with the addition of either a wristband or EKG leads on the patient's chest to measure the heart rate. Each time your heart beats, the CSF is forced out of your brain, down toward the spine in response to the flow of blood that enters the brain with each beat. The MRI machine is equipped with an additional software package that allows the images to be put together, showing the flow of CSF as it is moving.

Computerized Tomography (CT scan): A method of body imaging in which special x-ray equipment examines different angles and is analyzed by a computer to show a cross section of body tissues and organs.

Magnetic Resonance Angiography (MRA): This test examines the blood vessels without the use of any x-ray. Electromagnetic energy that is released when exposing the patient to radio waves in a strong magnetic field is measured by a computer and reveals images of the vessels.

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI): This is a test that reveals highly refined images of the body. This test obtains better images of tissue and organs by using strong magnets and pulses of radio waves to manipulate the natural magnetic properties in the body.

Medical Management: Not all patients diagnosed with CM require surgical treatment. Depending on the severity of the patient's symptoms and the results of a neurological workup, a patient may or may not be referred for surgical intervention. Even if surgical intervention is not indicated at the time of the workup, future surgery may be warranted if symptoms worsen."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In April, 08 I took a fall and tore my rotator cuff, ended up having surgery, the doc asked me about the fall & sent me to a neck doctor in their group,I see him for budging disc’s in my neck( also have them in the spinal area),He ordered full spinal MRI’s called me when he got the reports & said I need to see a NS,this was in Jan,09, I did & he looked at the MRI’s said I have CM, TC,& a mild case of SB. He then said he would normally recommend surgery, but my brain stem is very short and all the nerves are twisted around each other, & then with the CM & the spinal cord is very tight, he didn’t recommended it,& ordered a MRA, in the mean time I I went up to the Chicago Institute of Neurosurgery, & NeroReasearch,I had all my CD’s the doc looked at them, said he wouldn’t even touch it. I am 71,I've been living with this all my life, but I also have my own business, and keep very busy, on the go all the time, it keeps my mind off the pain. I have lived with pain all my life, my legs have always been a problem , even as child.My back has also been a problem,I can’t count all the cortisone shots I’ve had.I get numbness in my arms, hands, chin, upper legs with great heat, I drool off and on, ringing in ears,& many other things. The doctor in Chicago gave me nothing but it was too risky. I wasn’t given any idea if this can progress, Things have gotten worse since the fall. I went back to the first doc, & told him I was passing surgery, and he was happy,sent me to PT for my balance problems, and to a pain management doctor. I asked him if I had any restrictions and he said no, I don’t think he is seeing me aside from my age, even the PT that has been working with me, said if he were to guess my age, by just talking to me would be 40, in my work, I’m an interior designer, I climb ladders,reaching to measure things, down on my hands and knees, etc. it’s a physical job, and I’m not ready to give it up, I love it too much.
My main question is, after reading up on this, there are many restrictions, and I’m now doubting my doctor, I have an appt. with him on Mon. the 8th, and I have so many questions, I don’t know where to start. When I asked the doctor how the flow was, he just said bad, and nothing more. I am at a loss as to what I should do,I’d like to know if this is going to advance and if it does what will happen, I read about paralyzing,& don’t want to live my life that way. What direction can you put me in, & what restrictions would you recommend? Any help you can give me would be so much help, I have copies of all the MRI’s and MRA done. Both doctors said they didn’t agree with the MRI reports, after looking at the CD’s My conus resides at L-4. There are many other things mentioned on the MRI’s, multiple hemangiomas (large one in T2), multilevel lateral recess stenosis and canal stenosis,and more.I just want to know what is going on in my body, so I can take care not to make it worse.Now that I’ve talk you eye’s out, do you think you can give me any idea of where I should turn next. I live about 40 miles outside of Chicago. There is no way I could get out to where your located, I wish I could but at my age and my husband's (88) we just can't afford it. Both of the doctors are experienced in this field but I need someone to let me know more about what to look forward to. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Betty J. Weir
Joliet, IL